We cover all the great benefits of the Magic Mill Dehydrator and provide an honest review of the most affordable and high functioning food dehydrator machine out in the market.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my Disclaimer for more information.
When looking for a dehydrator, I was looking for something that will do the job well, that was budget-friendly, and wouldn’t take up to much space in my small kitchen.
After looking for a couple of weeks I came across the Magic Mill dehydrator and saw it was on sale for $127, so I snagged it right away.
What caught my eye about the Magic Mill dehydrator was how I could imagine it fitting my lifestyle at the moment. I don’t have much space In my kitchen, but I still wanted a dehydrator so could dry a lot of food because I will be starting my homestead soon and will preserving a lot of my garden.
To be honest, the price and the fact that it had 7 stainless steel trays to dehydrate food really sealed the deal for me.
To my surprise, I thought it was going to be bigger than it looked like on the screen but it fits perfectly in my small kitchen.
Magic mill dehydrator Table of Contents
This is will be an honest magic mill dehydrator review. You can expect to get a comprehensive review that will help you find the best food dehydrator machine suited best for your household.
It can be frustrating to harvest all of your kitchen garden fruits and veggies and unable to save it all. Dehydrating can help make your life easier when preserving or making food that you worked hard to grow or even buy. Knowing the struggle myself, I want to make sure you get my honest opinion about the Magic Mill dehydrator.
So before we dig into the Food Dehydrator Machine Review, let’s clear up some important information about dehydrators.
Are dehydrators worth it?
In my honest opinion, yes I think investing in a dehydrator is worth it especially if you grow food or do a lot of food shopping.
Dehydrating food is an effective way to minimize the overwhelming harvest from a garden or lots of leftover food that you bought from a store or made yourself.
Any size family or even a single person can benefit from having a food dehydrator because it works for you with minimal effort.
Exploring the world of dehydrating food was a game-changer for me and from personal experience with it so far, I can say honestly it has been worth it.
Why Do You Need a Food Dehydrator?
Without knowing it you eating food that probably has been dehydrated already. From powders, spices you cook with, and food like beef jerky all these food items were dehydrated at some point.
Technically, we do need a food dehydrator for some of the food we eat. I have listed eleven reasons why you need a food dehydrator.
- Let’s you stock up on food when on sale: You can dehydrate all your extra goods!
- Lets you buy bulk without worrying about wasting food
- It simple to use: no headaches have come from dehydrating food in my experience.
- Helps with food storage space: Your dehydrated food can last up to a year
- Saves you a lot of money in the long run: Buying food like jerky at a store can get expensive and preserving food over time can save you money.
- Can make you multiple meals: I bought the book Ultimate Dehydrator Cookbook that has tons of hydrating recipes, it has helped me so much with expanding my creativity in the kitchen.
- Provides you with nutritious food: When you dehydrate food all the enzymes and overall nutrients of the food are retained. A dehydrator persevers your food’s quality and only removes the water from it.
- Simply Convenient: Buying a food dehydrator is convenient for overall preservation, as you can have pounds of food saved for future use.
- Eco-friendly: A dehydrator can limit the use of store-bought items and can limit the amount of packaging you accumulate when you buy foods at stores.
- Helps you to create less waste: You will be able to preserve all your food instead of it ending up in the trash
- Expands your food creativity: Having a dehydrator can teach you various and easy ways on how to use food in a way you never thought of using it.
About The Magic Mill Dehydrator : Review
The Magic Mill dehydrator MFD-7070 is an affordable dehydrator machine. It can be a great addition to any kitchen and can make a big difference in the way you make or preserve food.
Made of stainless steel, and comes with 7 large-size trays. Each stainless steel tray can hold up to 1.47 lbs of food, which if actually fill up all the trays you can make or preserve at least 7 pounds of food all at once. You can use this dehydrator machine for heavy-duty use and have high-performance when drying fruit to even meat.
Individuals with limited counter space and overall limited kitchen space will love how the size of this dehydrator. I was pleasantly shocked by how well this machine has shaped. It is elongated and not bulky as other dehydrators machines are.
Below I get into more detail about the Magic Milld dehydrator.
Pros about the magic mill dehydrator
- Doesn’t break the bank
- Has an automatic shut off when dehydrating is complete
- Able to see inside while the machine is on
- All trays are dishwasher friendly
- Easy to clean inside and out
- Doesn’t take up too much space
- Easy and simple to use
Cons about the magic mill dehydrator
- It’s the limited capacity of the amount of food it can hold
- Temperature and time guidelines are not entirely accurate
- Can give off a slightly burnt smell
Best Features of magic mill dehydrator
- The automatic fan at the rear circulates warm air and dries food evenly.
- Has a transparent window that allows you to see the dehydrating process.
- LED screen is easy to see
- Temperature ranges are powerfully enough to dehydrate meat
- Overheating protection
- Provides two fruit roll trays, two mesh sheets and a bonus silicon mitten
Unboxing the Magic Mill Dehydrator Video
Who should buy the magic mill dehydrator?
Starting to dehydrate food for the first time can be a little intimidating, and I think the Magic Mill dehydrator is perfect for someone who is a beginner. If you want to be able to dehydrate all types of foods ranging from fruit to meat, then this high-performance machine would be a great addition to any kitchen.
Money is a huge factor when wanting to invest in a kitchen gadget that will make someone’s life easier. The affordability of the Magic Mill dehydrator is great for the person who doesn’t want to spend too much but wants a high-performing food dehydrator.
In addition, you also save more money because the Magic Mill dehydrator accessories come with it. No need to buy extra trays to make food like fruit leathers since it comes with 2 sets as well as 2 sets of mesh sheets too.
Space in the kitchen or your overall home can be limited for some people like myself. Considering the size of the magic mill dehydrator, it is small enough to fit in a tight space.
Choosing the Right Food Dehydrator for You
Once you’ve made the decision to buy a food dehydrator there are certain factors you should consider depending on your lifestyle.
Now, if you have plans on harvesting a lot from a garden or buy a lot of products you might want to invest in a good size dehydrator. Having multiple horizontal flat trays to hold all you want to dehydrate is essential.
Planning to dehydrate only fruit and veggies or meat? Purchasing a food dehydrator that reaches a temperature as high as 167 degrees Fahrenheit is needed.
According to The U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA), “ Meat and Poultry Hotline’s current recommendation for making jerky safely is to heat meat to 160 °F (71.1 °C) and poultry to 165 °F (73.9 °C) before the dehydrating process to ensure any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat.”
Living in an apartment, condo, or have a big house with a huge kitchen? Size does matter when you are choosing the right size food dehydrator for the amount of space you really have for it.
Dehydrator Buying Guide
Considering the power a dehydrator has, and the many varieties of all types of food dehydrators you may want to keep these key points in mind when buying one.
- Easy to clean and has dishwasher safe materials
- Performs its heating element at the rear to dry food more evenly.
- Includes overheating protection and has an automatic shut off mode
- Control buttons or screen is easily viable and won’t fade (LED screens are best)
- Isn’t too loud, and doesn’t cause an annoyance with loud noises
- Make sure you are able to visibly see the drying process by a transparent cover or door
- Has warranty for future mishaps
- Temperature ranges are sufficient to your goals for use of a dehydrator.
- Budget-friendly without sacrificing quality
- Comes with a timer and easy to use control panel
Where to buy a food dehydrator?
You can definitely buy a food dehydrator at your local big-box stores like Home Depot and Walmart. One of the easier ways is to buy one on Amazon, which is where I got my Magic mill Food Dehydrator for an amazing price. The deals online are usually the best and if possible I would take advantage of seasonal sales like Thanksgiving sale on Black Friday.
Blow are other affordable food dehydrators with great reviews on Amazon.
For other great homesteading kitchen gadgets and gift ideas…
Check out the helpful post below.
100 Perfect & Useful Gifts for all Homesteaders
The Most Practical Gifts for Gardeners
PIN FOR LATER
Juliea Huffaker says
You’ve convinced me! I love to preserve fresh produce from the garden… This looks like another awesome way of doing that. I’m also interested in the recipes!
That’s great! Dehydration is such a game changer 😊
Such a great and informative post. Thanks so much for sharing.
Your welcome! I’m glad it is helpful.